Monday, February 05, 2007

93rd Edition - 2/5/07

  • Bears: Da Day After

Colts 29, Bears 17

Two years is a row, the Bears defense has let down the team in the playoffs. But at least this year, Rex Grossman joined them.

What started off a dream (Devin Hester's 92-yard opening kickoff return) became ... one of those dreams from a long night of drinking where you are still at the party, but things are slowly spinning out of control and you are trying to shout but have no voice and things just keep getting worse and worse ... one of those dreams.

The Colts played perfectly in the rain, mixing up short passes and runs resulting in long drives with some points. The Bears barely ever drove with confidence and whenever they got something going, Grossman fell, tripped, tossed an interception, fumbled the snap or threw for five yards instead of the required eight for a first down.

I love the team going into next year. But I don't want Grossman as the quarterback. The thing that kills me about the season is the Bears never found out how Griese could deal with a pressure situation. No matter how Grossman performs during the regular season, I will be nervous for the playoffs next year.

Another thing -- I now hate when "my" team returns an opening kickoffs. The Hawkeyes did that to me in 2003 in the Orange Bowl against USC. The rest of the game was not pretty.

  • Super Bowl: the other stuff

The commercials ... in one word ... awful. Perhaps my judgement in cloudy since I was in a funk for the whole second half, but almost everything was flat.

Watch them here if you need a refresher - click here

The Good
Bud Light - Wedding
Budweiser - Hitchhiker, Rock/Paper/Scissors, Slap Happy
Sierra Mist - Beard Comb-over
Snickers - Guy Kiss

The Bad
Everything else, though most are disqualified (such as all the Coke ads, because they are old ones). I can't believe an advertiser is going to pay top dollar and then show us a refund. If I had control over my love for Diet Coke, I would choose not to drink it for a while.

The Best
Doritos, Strong and Smooth

And a special shout out to the fiancee for watching the game with me. She has now seen two Bears games (her first being the Bears/Saints). She has decided she liked watching that one more.

Prince was fantastic, best of my life, though the choice of covers was a little odd, I liked that he played them. Great visuals with the marching band. And Prince didn't lip-sync, which is reason no. 142 on why he is Prince.

I did, in fact, break even with my bets. The big one I missed was a small bet on the Bears losing the first half, winning the second (paying 12-1).

I found myself wishing "Criminal Minds" would be cancelled within the week. Why on Earth would you show a downer like that after I watched my Bears get beat? Even if you are a Colts fan, why would you want to see that? Just a terrible decision, plus, from what I understand, I think you might have a sit-com starring David Spade starting soon ... if the 35 promos where telling the truth.

  • WSOPC

Not good. We didn't qualify for an interview or the mock-game show. We don't know what the passing level is on the test or exactly how we did, and aren't allowed to talk about anything test related. The test was 15 minutes. Our total time spent attempting to be on the game show - 43 minutes.

Happy Fun Ball is dead.

Special thanks to John for making the flight from Atlanta, in hindsight just a ridiculous thing to do. And to Kenzie for some good-looking shirts.

  • Stuff

Funny. I didn't feel like writing today. Oh well.

*Drew Barrymore on SNL ... good. The second half of the show was surprisingly strong. I'm giving this one a thumbs up, especially considering I was having trouble with my TV and had to watch in really bad reception. The good ones: The Dakota Show, Jo-Jo, Body Fusion, Wknd Update and Firestarter Smoked Sausages.

Here's the season to date: 7-5

Funny: John C. Reily, Hugh Laurie, Alec Baldwin, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Justin Timberlake, Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore

Not Funny: Dane Cook, Jaime Pressly, Matthew Fox, Annette Bening, Jeremy Piven

*Oldie but goodie: Here's a spoof on Alias Season One - click here

*Daivd Lee Roth is back with Van Halen this summer on tour.

*Camera Obscrua was not good on Saturday night. WAY too many slow songs played in a row.



No comments: