Friday, October 20, 2006

33th Edition - 10/20/06

  • His Mets (Cause they are no longer mine)

It's seems just a couple weeks ago readers voted for me to jump on the Mets' Bandwagon. Well, it was a bumpy ride that has come to an end.

Cardinals 3, Mets 1 (Cardinals win the series 4-3)
The Cardinals will move on to play the Detriot Tigers in the World Series. I want the Tigers to win, mainly because the Cardinals don't do anything for me, there is no story, the team is boring, and they weren't that good this season.

Anyway, I said His Mets because one of the readers is Miko Mendoza, a Mets lifer, so he gets to give the final word on the Mets...
++++++++++++++++
I love the amazin’s. I always tell myself that you gotta believe. But it is not easy. Because as you’re entering the playoffs, your pitching staff dwindles down to the arm of a 40-year-old veteran. Somehow, they pull off a sweep of the Dodgers with an improbable double play-at-the –plate (how do you score that 9-6-2-2 unassisted?) their bats seemed to be in full swing during that series. Then they come up against St. Louis, who on paper don’t have a chance against the Mets. But it’s the postseason and unlikely heroes like Weaver and Suppan pitched like they’ve been there before and Maine and Perez made some gritty performances. After a roller coaster of emotions this past week, the series came down to a fantastic game 7 again with unlikely heroes – Endy Chavez and Yadier Molina … but when I was about to believe, the Mets mighty offense let them down… It’s never easy being a Met fan. So I’ll hang up my Mets cap until next year and now I can go on with my regularly scheduled life…
++++++++++++++++++++

Well, it's back to the Cubs for me.

  • The Hawkeyes

I will watch. I will cheer. I will not be expected a victory. Everything the Hawkeyes have shown me this year involves the word mediocre. They play the Wolverines in Ann Arbor at 2:30. I had thoughts of going to this game, since I have never been to the campus, but a lot can change when you lose to a Hoosier.

  • The Problem

Right now, the top 4 headlines on ESPN involve criminal actions involving athletics. A Celtic might have been involved with shooting a rapper. The NFL is not going to be bombed this weekend ... I don't want to deal with any of this stuff. The more things that happen like this, the less sports become an escape.

  • The Picks

j NCAA: 1-2 (Season 11-6-1)
billy z NCAA: 2-1 (Season 11-5-2)

j NFL: 0-3 (Season 9-7-2)
mike d NFL: 2-1 (Season 10-7-2)

j NCAA picks
Illinois (+17.5) over Penn State
Wisconsin (-6.5) over Purdue
Texas (-5) over Nebraska

j NFL picks
Chargers (-5.5) over Chiefs
Panthers (+3) over Bengals
Broncos (-4.5) over Browns
Under of the Colts/Redskins (48.5)

  • Stuff

I am seeing a movie with my fiance on opening day! I missed the screening of the "Prestige," and have heard nothing but good things. So we are doing dinner and a movie. Just like a real couple.

John C. Reily is hosting SNL and I've heard a couple rumors that Will Ferrell will be making an appearance. I might actually laugh.

"Flags of our Fathers"
Wow. Just not good.
If you are going to watch this film, bring a team with you. Everyone should be in charge of one actor, and every time you are able to make the connection of recognizing them on-screen, your job will be to stand up and scream their name. Just impossible to keep these guys straight through the first half of the film. Plus, they add a naration in at the end out of nowhere, cause Clint Eastwood couldn't figure out how to end the film. It's a mess, though I did find it interesting to learn the history of the famous pose. The only good thing is that Eastwood's next film is the Japanese point of view during WWII, a story we Americans don't really hear about.
C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, smell it, the heart of the NFL season is here. We're starting to sort the pretenders from the sort of pretenders from the kind of good teams from the average. Ok, the NFL is messy again, but work it girlfriend. With only a handful of good teams, you've got bets to make.

NyG -3.5...The hook brings me back. One of my favorite preseason teams is starting to come into their own. Bledsoe=pain for gamblers.

Sea -6.5...This looks like a heavy line, but a couple of factors make this a nice Seattle advantage. The Vikes can stop the rush, but not the pass. Seattle will be 3 and 4 wide all game. Plus, Seattle has the best home field in the league and haven't been back in a couple of games

Ari -3...How can I not take a team that made my Bears look like, like, cu..shit? I know the Monday night factor is playing in, not to mention Denny Green's tirade, but it's Oakland people.