Thursday, January 25, 2007

89th Edition - 1/25/07

  • Vegas

I don't need another vacation, but one is being thrust upon me. Tonight, I leave for Las Vegas. There will be seven of us, growing to 12 for the weekend. I will come back with stories, hopefully I'll be able to share some with you. Those involving my friend Mark, probably won't be appropriate. I'll be open about my gambling (unless I lose), and of course the ultimate frisbee tournament (our reason for going). So far, I have gone through a half box of kleenex (I have a cold), my right knee throbs when I run, I haven't played in a tournament since last year, and I am trying to win enough money to pay for my fiancee's ring. It has the makings of a fantastic weekend.

I'll be back on Tuesday.

  • The Weekly Bull (24-19)

There is a lot of talk about Paul Gasol, the 7 foot Spaniard who plays for the Memphis Grizzlies. The trade would definitely include P.J. Brown and would either be with Ben Gordon or Luol Deng. Deng makes sense because of the depth the Bulls have at small forward, Gordon does not. Gasol is good for about 18 points and 8 rebounds. Most importantly, it would give the Bulls a low-post scoring threat, which is something the Bulls don't have at all ... yes, Ben Wallace, I'm looking at you.

Tonight the Bulls play the Mavs in a chance to see how close they are to the top, and then they have the Heat at home on Saturday night. Both are at home where the Bulls are 18-6.

  • Tennis anyone? Not so fast Roddick

It took less than 90 minutes for Roger Federer to be done with Andy Roddick, 6-4, 6-0, 6-2, though there are reports that a sweat was broken by both men. This took place in the early a.m. so I am assuming no one saw it.

  • Cubs, meet Floyd

Cliff Floyd is a Cub. Chicago picked up his contract which can be worth $3 million for one year or as much as $17.5 million for two. With that kind of money on the line, it would appear Floyd will be the Cubs left fielder, moving Matt Murton to the bench. Murton had the highest batting average on the Cubs last year. Logic would dictate this young player would get better. Sitting on the bench, it's going to be tough to improve. Murton didn't hit many home runs, and that must be what will cost him his starting job. If Floyd is healthy (pesky bone spur that he had surgery on) he'll probably bat fifth or sixth in the line-up. I don't like the move. Unless of course he returns to his 2005 form where he hit .273 with 34 home runs.

  • Stuff

Optimus Prime (from the movie coming this summer)

The Decemberists go on tour in March, there will be a two-night stay in Chicago.

New Music -- Bo Pepper -- http://myspace.com/bopepper (I recommend Buses). This girl doesn't have a record deal yet, so you are getting her REALLY early.

1 comment:

bz said...

I feel like you're complaining about going to Vegas. Stop it. YOU'RE GOING TO VEGAS! Geez.