Tuesday, January 16, 2007

82nd Edition - 1/16/07

  • Bears: Sigh of relief

Bears 27, Seahawks 24
The Bears decided to win on Sunday, mainly because the Seahawks didn't want to. The Seahawks had many opportunities to get into FG range late in the 4th quarter and in OT as well, but they could never get the job done. So finally, Rex Grossman hit Rashied Davis for a big gain and then it was up to Robbie Gould's foot. He connected on his record-tying 49-yard FG.

I was thinking the Seahawks would win when the Bears were sitting on a 4-point lead for most of the 2nd half. Perhaps that is because I am a Bears/Cubs fan and I expect the worst. Or maybe it has more to do with me, but it just didn't look like the Bears would win. It was their defense that was letting them down for most of the day, but luckily it came up big when it needed to.

Grossman had his amazing moments (both good and bad) all in the same game, which is rare to see.

I'm excited that the Bears are one game away. Even if they have to beat "America's Team."

  • NFL: The rest of them

The Saints beat the Eagles 27-24 in the only game I didn't watch this weekend. I had a friend in town and didn't call my fiancee to attempt to set up the tivo to record the game. Turns out, I missed a great game. Looks like the Bears will have their hands full. I have no idea how they stop the Saints offense.

As for this "America's Team" label they have been given ... how? How was this determined? I never remember a poll being taken about which team you like now compared to who you cheered for last year. I under New Orleans has been through a lot, but does that mean football fans have given up on their team to root for New Orleans? I doubt it. I think it's "nice" that the Saints are winning, and I always like it when a team turns around losing ways, but "America's Team" has been given that label by the media because it makes for a good story. We have no idea if America truly loves the Saints, or has just been told that they do.

The Colts beat the Ravens 15-6. Peyton Manning has been awful in the playoffs. It doesn't seem to matter.

The Patriots beat the Chargers 24-21. Tom Brady had an awful game, except when it counted. The end of the first half, and second half he played perfectly. That gave the Patriots all the points they needed to beat LDT and then dance like Shawne Merriman after the game, which unfortunately became more of a story than the game.

  • The Picks (revisited)

NFL Season Standings
j : 25-24-4
Mike D: 27-24-2

NFL Playoffs
j: 3-5
Mike D: 5-3

NFL Overall
j: 28-29-4
Mike D: 32-27-2

So at this point, I can't win the overall standing. But then again, I can't remember any NFL team bragging about winning the regular season and losing the playoffs. And there is still a slight chance that I could win the playoffs. So, I'm clinging to that for now.

  • NBA: annoyed

I hate that the NBA player contracts are guaranteed. It just doesn't make sense, because they Chris Webber can make an insane amount of money, not be good, and then quit trying until his team gets sick of him, get bought out of his contract, and then join the Pistons for a feel-good reunion (he played his college ball in Michigan).

  • Stuff

**Jake Gyllenhaal worked his ass off on Saturday Night Live. Plus they brought back laser cats. So it was a win, win. With Gyllenhaal doing the best opening monologue since Steve Martin tried to kill Alec Baldwin.

Here's the season to date: 6-4
Funny: John C. Reily, Hugh Laurie, Alec Baldwin, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Justin Timberlake, Jake Gyllenhaal

Not Funny: Dane Cook, Jaime Pressly, Matthew Fox, Annette Bening

**Golden Globes
Yawn. That is how I would describe the show. It was great seeing Sacha Baron Cohen give a speech as himself (winning for "Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical" for "Borat"), but overall the speeches weren't that good. And the presenters had to deal with a crowd that was never sitting down. Every time they came back from commercial, people were moving around and talking ... and wouldn't that have been more enjoyable to watch?

Good Speeches:
Alec Baldin
Hugh Laurie
Sacha Baron Cohen
Meryl Streep
Jennifer Hudson

"The Departed" didn't win enough.

There were plenty of awkward moments though ...
Warren Beatty not practicing his speech enough.
America Ferrera of ABC's "Ugly Betty" waiting to be interviewed by the sideline reporter.
Arnold Schwarzenegger's cruches.
Helen Miren's speeches.
Eddie Murphy barely being excited, suddenly I realized I need to stop feeling sorry for Eddie Murphy and his string of sell-outs.

No comments: