Wednesday, November 22, 2006

54th Edition - 11/22/06

The Big T-day Extravaganza

OK, my next update will be on Monday, November 27. So I'll make this a long one (in other words, bare with me).

We'll get to the picks (at the end), the movies, some fluff and a little self-promotion ... But since it is Wednesday that means we start with the ...


  • Weekly Bull: There's truth in the title (3-8)

Things aren't going well. The good news is that the Bulls just completed their fifth game on the annual circus road trip (the circus comes to town every year and forces the Bulls to have a big road trip). Yes, five games are done, but they have failed to win any of them. 0-5. With two games left at Philly and at NY, hopefully they can manage to finish 2-5.
This trip is a set back for the Bulls who should be one of the elite teams in the East. Now they are going to have to work hard just to get to .500 by the All-Star break (about 30 games away).

Inside the numbers:
Leading scorer - Luol Deng, 17.3 ppg (43rd in league)
Ben Wallace - 10.3 rpg (11th in league)
- 4.8 offensive rpg (1st in league)
Kirk Hinrich - 6.0 apg (19th in league)

  • NCAA Basketball: Still a little early

Doesn't feel right talking about college hoops, but with Marquette defeating Duke (73-62) last night maybe I should start paying attention.

Top-ranked Florida is sick (good) right now. I mean, who would have thought they would have beaten power house Prarie View A&M (94-33). After all, Prarie View A&M had already beaten South West Assembly of God (61-57). If you can beat God, shouldn't you be able to beat Florida?

  • Cubs: We need a pitcher

The signing of Alfonso Soriano is great. We still need help in the pitching department. One suggestion, Tom Glavine. The Mets have declined to pick him up for next season. He was good, not great, last season. But the Cubs need good pitchers, and after all -- crafty veterans are always a plus.

By the way, the Juan Pierre era is over after lasting just one year. He is signing with the Dodgers.

Also, in an interview yesterday Cubs' GM Jim Hendry said Soriano will play the outfield, but which position is still up in the air. He will be leading off though.

  • MLB: The Final Awards

Not that anyone really cares or remembers how they were earned, but here are the 2006 MLB awards.

NL MVP: Ryan Howard
AL MVP: Justin Morneau
NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb
AL Cy Young: Johan Santana
NL Rookie: Hanley Ramirez
AL Rookie: Justin Verlander
NL Manager: Joe Girardi
AL Manager: Jim Leyland
NL Comeback: Nomar Garciapara
AL Comeback: Jim Thome

  • Stuff

Watching Michael Richards rant and rave on stage, showing he is capable of spewing racism is awful to watch -- click here
Watching Michael Richards attempt to apologize on the David Letterman Show is awkward to watch -- click here

  • Living in a Fantasy

Fantasy Football: Right now I am one game out of the playoff race, even though I have more points than anyone else in the league. I keep telling myself I'm the best and the competition always tries to rise up against the best ... Then I realize I am wasting too much thought on fantasy football. With three games left before the playoffs I think I need to win two. It's going to be tough.

College Football Pick'em: With two weeks left, I have a three game lead, over mike d. I need this win. For the season so far I have picked 134 out of 244 (all the Top 25 games). 55 percent is pretty good in the world of gambling.

  • Quick Movie Reviews

The Fountain
Hugh Jackman carries this film by Darren Aronofsky. I have never been blown away by a Jackman performance until now. "The Fountain" tells the story of one man's journey through a thousand years to try and save his love (played by Aronofsky's real-life girlfriend Rachel Weisz). There are definitely times when you won't fully understand what Aronofsky is trying to say in this film, but the feelings and visually you are left with will more than make up for it.
Grade: B
Blatant Self-Promotion
Click here to read my interview with Darren Aronofsky

Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny
Plot: Jack Black and Kyle Gass got their start on “Mr. Show with Bob and David” on HBO. Now they have a full-length film which tells the tale of JB and KG hungry for success, and trying to pay the rent. They set off on a quest for the pick of destiny, a legendary guitar pick that has helped many bands become rock legends. Black, Gass and director Liam Lynch (“Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic”) wrote the film, which also features new songs by the band.

Bottom Line: “Mr. Show” was on a decade ago, and this film feels about five years too late. Black and Gass still have good chemistry … but “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny” hits us over the head that the chemistry is pot. And they probably have a point, the jokes would be funnier with a joint. That’s not a compliment. It starts off strong with Meat Loaf as Black’s father and that is just the beginning of cameos that include Amy Poehler, Ben Stiller, Ronnie James Dio, Tim Robbins and John C. Reilly (as sasquatch). The one truly laugh-out-loud moment came when Black and Gass discover their tattoos and name the band accordingly. The new songs don’t compare to “Tribute,” “F*ck her Gently,” and “Rock Your Socks.” Otherwise, it’s easy to watch and zips along pretty quick, but it’s not the greatest film of all time, as “The D” would have you believe. You would be much better off checking out Tenacious D in concert, buying their self-titled album, and waiting for this film on DVD … And have a burrito close by for when the munchies hit.
Grade: C+

  • The Picks

Well, we learned some things last week --
1. I can still win a weekend with the NFL (I went 2-1)
2. billy z clearly learned how to make a post after the games are played (it's the only explanation for him going 3-0 last weekend)
3. mike d should stick to playing fantasy football

With the big t-day weekend upon us, we're going to add some more games to the mix...

Previous Standings:
j NCAA: (19-12-1)
billy z NCAA: (22-8-2)
j NFL: (14-18-3)
mike d NFL: (13-20-2)

j NCAA
Boston College -4 over Miami
Texas -13 over Texas A&M
LSU straight up over Arkansas
Tennesee -19 over Kentucky
Oklahoma -5.5 over Oklahoma St
USC -7 over Notre Dame

Last year, I went 3-0 on my Thanksgiving Day parlay. And since n=1, I will always go 3-0 on my Thanksgiving Day parlay. That's how gambling works, right?
j NFL
t-day games:
Dolphins -2.5 over Lions
Buccaneers +11 over Cowboys
Chiefs +1 over Broncos
Sunday games:
Steelers +3 over Ravens
Bengals -3 over Browns
Bears +3 over Patriots

That's it. That's enough to keep you full until next Monday. As always, look for billy z and mike d to add their picks in the comments section.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff's making me pick the Thanksgiving games this week. This should help my stellar record. Stick with me folks, the law of averages always works in betting. Though, you may have to wait until 2010. Have a happy turkey day.

Mia -3...Going with the hot hand here. The Miami D is coming into form. Though Roy Williams with a national audience scares me a little. But one man does not make an army.

T.B. +11...When clueless, take the points. I'm clueless, that is for sure.

Den +1...K.C. will be hard to play in for the holiday, but that won't compensate for being the inferior team. Green looked rusty and no Gonzo makes for a lot of LJ.

.....after I've gained 12lbs.....

NO +3....As soon as Jim Mora admits that Michael Vick can't pass, the better the world will be. Let him run. With that said, until I see the change, I'm full steam against the Falcons.

Tenn +3...I don't like this at all, but I figured I throw in a Costanza pick, so I might win a game this week.

NE -3...I love picking against the Bears and having them prove me wrong week after week. BEARS!

bz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bz said...

Jeff realizes I only have the golden touch when I only have to pick 3 games, so here's my downfall (picking 6). Let's see if we can make some magic happen!

Notre Dame +7 @ USC

Florida -9 @ FSU

LSU (pick 'em) @ Arkansas

Georgia Tech +2 @ Georgia (I'm still not convinced we're a good team, even after the amazing Auburn win -- please provde me wrong, Dawgs!)

Kentucky +19 @ Tennessee

Wake Forest +1 @ Maryland