Tuesday, November 14, 2006

49th Edition - 11/14/06

  • Cubs: same faces, new price tags

Aramis Ramirez walked away from the final two years on his contract (4-year, $41 million) because he knew he could get more.

The Cubs walked away from Kerry Wood, who was set to make $13.5 million. Instead they paid him a $3 million buy-out to negate his contract.

They are both coming back.
Ramirez signed a 5-year, $75 million (paying him more than Derrek Lee)
Wood signed a 1-year, $1.75 million deal that could be worth $6 million if he stays healthy and regains a starting position.

The nice thing here, both men would have made more money if they had gone elsewhere. Ramirez would have been considering the top free agent (along with Alfonso Soriano - who the Cubs are going to look into) - and the market would have paid him about the same per year for the a six-year deal.

And there is always a team that would take a chance on Wood. He could prove to be a decent reliever/starter, and if that's the case, the Cubs got a bargain. As long as they don't plan on Wood being good, it's a steal.

The need still remains for more: Barry Zito, Jason Schmidt, Carlos Lee or Soriano need to put on the blue pinstripes.

  • Stuff

"NBC Nightly News" and "Meet the Press" are both going to be available for free on iTunes in video format. Be careful and choose wisely, only one of them will make you smarter.

I didn't go to Lollapoalooza this summer in Chicago. The chance of 100 degree weather and little money in my pocket made it easy. Now I can buy some sets from the live show. Brilliant. click here to browse the catalog

  • My Tivo is happy and sad

"Friday Night Lights" just got picked up for a full season. It's a dead heat between this and "Studio 60" for my new favorite show. Plus, I am about to start watching "Heroes," and I still sit through "30 Rock." Good lord, I love NBC. I watch more NBC show than any other network. I didn't even know it. Anyway, "Lights" is a good thing.

Now onto my Tivo being sad ... This Thursday night I have to drag out my old friend VCR. "Earl," and "Office" are super-sized, followed by "30 Rock" on it's new night. This means I have decided "Grey's" gets the videotape treatment on the second TV. By the way, "Grey's" hasn't been good lately. Izzie. I cringe every single time she is on the screen. And the "Mc" thing has run it's course. I don't McCare.

  • The Rankings

I'm in the mood for a list. Here are my TV rankings for this season so far (not including sports) ... It's a combination of my excitement to see a show and my annoyance if I miss an episode (though I haven't missed an episode yet).

1. The Office
2. Studio 60
3. Friday Night Lights
4. Battlestar Galactica
5. Lost
6. Grey's Anatomy
7. Saturday Night Live
8. My Name is Earl
9. 30 Rock

Keep in mind, this is all I watch right now. "Rescue Me" would be in the top three if it was on right now, and I am about to get caught up on "Heroes" -- give me a couple weeks.

What about you? Or is my list perfection so there is no need for another?



3 comments:

mike d said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mike d said...

1. Friday Night Lights-Lyla Garrity hooking up with her paralyzed boyfriend's friend=hot...ps, she's 27...legal

2. Heros-Just awesome. Hiro is this generation's "donger."

3. Nip/Tuck-Dr. Troy is my hero: 11" soft, all you need to know.

4. 30 Rock-Love the Baldwin. Guy is money in anything he does. Tina Fey is suprisingly good.

5. Studio 60-Seems like a lot of payroll for a decent show. Chandler is money. Don't really get the whole Christian angle to his love interest.

7394. Lost-This show just sucks. Do something. I'm glad I've just watch the clip show for a catch-up because I would've shot myself in the face by now if I've stuck with it for this long.

Unknown said...

A long list for me, because me and Sarah watch a lot of TV:

1. Survivor
2. The Wire
3. American Idol (when it’s on)
4. Studio 60 (fading slightly)
5. How I Met Your Mother
6. Scrubs
7. The Office
8. Lost
9. Smallville
10. Nip/Tuck
11. King of Queens
12. Rescue Me
13. CSI (original)/Shark/Criminal Minds

Shows I watch with my wife that aren’t bad:
1. Grey’s Anatomy
2. What About Brian
3. Six Degrees

Show that used to be on this list but isn’t very good:
Desperate Housewives